From: Harry Ohlsen [mailto:harryo / zip.com.au]
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 4:00 PM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Re: New Ruby book

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:31, Jack Herrington wrote:
> I reckon I could get them into Ruby by showing them tools
> > that can
> > augment their Java development.  Once they start playing with Ruby
for
> > that
> > kind of thing, I think they'll see the power and make it a serious
> > choice for
> > general work.
>
> I'd love to hear if that works.

I'll report back ... success or failure.

It's not so much that they're anti anything non-Java, just that they
don't
seem to want to try Ruby.

Every time I talk to someone about it, they seem to lump Ruby in with
every
other scripting language and believe it's of no value for "real" work.

They'd rather use BeanShell, which is a scripting language that looks
like
Java.  I have to admit, I've not tried it (because I've already found
the
*best* scripting language :-), but I can't imagine it being as neat as
Ruby.

> The book came out as an ebook on Monday, and is at the printers right
> now. Hardcopy should start shipping in a couple of weeks if you buy
> from Manning.

Terrific.  Being here in Australia, maybe I'll talk my boss into buying
me a
copy of the eBook and then wait for the print version to get here
(sometimes
takes a while), especially since Manning offers a refund on the eBook
when
you buy the paper version.

Cheers,

Harry O.

------_extPart_001_01C34D59.8574DD44

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 6.0.4418.33">
<TITLE>RE: New Ruby book</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=2>I think to be fair you need to try out BeanShell.&nbsp; I've played with it for a few minutes at a time, and I think it's pretty safe to say it lacks some of Ruby's important features, but I really think to convince your coworkers, you personally need to have some experience in what you're trying to steer them away from, otherwise you're committing a similar error to the one they are in lumping Ruby in with all other scripting languages.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Al</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>-----Original Message-----</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>From: Harry Ohlsen [mailto:harryo / zip.com.au]</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 4:00 PM</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>To: ruby-talk ML</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Subject: Re: New Ruby book</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:31, Jack Herrington wrote:</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&gt; I reckon I could get them into Ruby by showing them tools</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&gt; &gt; that can</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&gt; &gt; augment their Java development.&nbsp; Once they start playing with Ruby for</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&gt; &gt; that</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&gt; &gt; kind of thing, I think they'll see the power and make it a serious</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&gt; &gt; choice for</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&gt; &gt; general work.</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&gt;</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&gt; I'd love to hear if that works.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>I'll report back ... success or failure.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>It's not so much that they're anti anything non-Java, just that they don't </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>seem to want to try Ruby.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Every time I talk to someone about it, they seem to lump Ruby in with every </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>other scripting language and believe it's of no value for &quot;real&quot; work.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>They'd rather use BeanShell, which is a scripting language that looks like </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Java.&nbsp; I have to admit, I've not tried it (because I've already found the </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>*best* scripting language :-), but I can't imagine it being as neat as Ruby.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>&gt; The book came out as an ebook on Monday, and is at the printers right</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&gt; now. Hardcopy should start shipping in a couple of weeks if you buy</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&gt; from Manning.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Terrific.&nbsp; Being here in Australia, maybe I'll talk my boss into buying me a </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>copy of the eBook and then wait for the print version to get here (sometimes </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>takes a while), especially since Manning offers a refund on the eBook when </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>you buy the paper version.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Cheers,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Harry O.</FONT>