--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 04:30:03AM +0900, Ben Giddings wrote:
> Hey all,

	Hi

> Has anybody here ever cross-compiled ruby successfully?  I ask because I'm
> trying to do just that and "configure" busts in a number of places when
> cross-compiling.  An example:
>
> checking whether getpgrp takes no argument... configure: error: cannot check
> getpgrp if cross compiling
>
> at which point "configure" exits.

there are indeed some problems with configure, I got around them
by (sorry, it's bad ...) patching the configure script. But the
biggest problem, and one you cannot easily correct is the fact
that during the build process, a miniruby executable is
produced. This executable is then run several times, for
example to create generate Makefile from extconf.rb scripts. But
since your cross compiling, it cannot be run on your build
environment ...

One workaround would be to specify that the ruby executable from
the current build environment should be used, but using a
specific config file to override the system specific settings
(since we don't want to use the one from the build environment)

Anyway, good luck :) and please post if you find a solution !

--
BenoŻ’ PIERRE				<pierre_b / epita.fr>
•őtudiant EPITA				  GISTR promo 2004

| Avoid the Gates of Hell.  Use Linux | BDEE523CB7AE6D9DB4C0

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo--