Hey all,

Has anybody here ever cross-compiled ruby successfully?  I ask because I'm
trying to do just that and "configure" busts in a number of places when
cross-compiling.  An example:

checking whether getpgrp takes no argument... configure: error: cannot check
getpgrp if cross compiling

at which point "configure" exits.

I looked at its source and see:

echo $ac_n "checking whether getpgrp takes no argument""... $ac_c" 1>&6
echo "configure:3830: checking whether getpgrp takes no argument" >&5
if eval "test \"`echo '$''{'ac_cv_func_getpgrp_void'+set}'`\" = set"; then
  echo $ac_n "(cached) $ac_c" 1>&6
else
  if test "$cross_compiling" = yes; then
  { echo "configure: error: cannot check getpgrp if cross compiling" 1>&2;
exit
1; }
else
  cat > conftest.$ac_ext <<EOF

So unless there's a cached value for this setting, then I'm SOL if I'm
cross-compiling.

Is there a work-around for this?  Can I manually "pre-cache" this setting by
figuring out the correct value and editing (pre-creating really)
config.cache?

Btw, Brian, when not cross-compiling I found that the entire Ruby distribution
is 3.3MB so if I can get it to cross-compile it should do what I need.

Oh, and jumping ahead a little bit, has anybody ever cross-compiled eRuby?  If
I can get Ruby ported I think I'm going to try to use it to replace a really
awful CGI written in 18 C files with html mixed in haphasardly with C code.
Ugh.

Ben