On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 23:57:24 +0900, Guillaume Marcais wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-07-12 at 17:43, Brian Candler wrote:
>> I'm not sure if Linux has a compressed filesystem, but that might be another
>> option (Ruby source, being plain text, should compress pretty well)
>
> From kernel-doc-2.4.18/filesystems/cramfs.txt:
>
>  Cramfs - cram a filesystem onto a small ROM
>
> cramfs is designed to be simple and small, and to compress things well.

the "familiar" Linux distro (from iPAQ/handhelds.org fame) uses
jffs2 for the internal flash (based on the mtd block interface; do not use
it on flash with an IDE interface).
Jffs2 is not only compressed, but also writable and still saves your flash.

The Ruby packages in familiar are thus compressed.

Bye,
Kero.