"Daniel Carrera" <dcarrera / math.umd.edu> wrote in message
news:20030712005901.GA1650 / math.umd.edu...

> The fact is, many people do associate with "viral" a need to be weary
> and step wide around it.  That is why the term was chosen by Bill Gates to
> refer to the GPL.  It was to create FUD.
>
> If someone associates these things with viral, I will argue that the GPL
> is not viral.  If someone (like you) does not, I will just agree to
> disagree on the definition of a word.

I don't think Bill Gates originally coined the term to refer to the GPL;
check this search: http://groups.google.com/groups?q=GPL+is+viral and look
at some of the dates that appear, and read other arguments about it.  I
don't think I can make my point any better than I already have.  You choose
to be flexible with the term "viral" because you don't want to hear anyone
use it to describe the GPL, and I choose to be less political than that.

Also, at some point (far too late), it dawned on me that, no matter how much
you buck against use of the term "viral" you can't a) change the meaning or
use of the term nor b) magically make the GPL behave non-virally by arguing
that it doesn't.

Even worse, this has only the tiniest of tiny bits to do with Ruby and not
worth all the chatter.

My apologies all!

    Sean O'Dell