On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 02:50:30PM +0900, Sean O'Dell wrote:

> > Whether I am right or not in my assertion that the GPL is not viral
> > depends on the validity of this statement.  If the GPL can make your code
> > GPL without your agreeing to that, then the GPL is viral.
>
> It sounds more like you are talking about "contagion."  How "contagious" the
> GPL is determines how easily you can "catch" it, whereas "viral" simply
> refers to its tendency to attach and replicate.

No, I am not talking about how contagious it is.
Let's define "contagious" as the ability to spread.  The purpose of this
definition is to avoid fueling this thread by not associating it with the
word "viral".  Therefore, non-viral things like a bad mood or laughter
can be contagious.

> The GPL is not very contagious, which I believe is your opinion as well.
> It's very easily avoided.  You just don't use it if you don't want to.

Sure, the GPL is not too contagious.  I think that the GPL is less
contagious than laughter.

> However, once you've made the committment to release your application with
> GPL code in it, and you release it with all source code marked appropriately
> as GPL, you cannot rescind the license and it is forevermore release to the
> world as GPL,

This is true for any license.  The BSD and X11 are like that also.

> and anyone who then derives work from it must do the same if
> they wish to release their work; it is, by this action, viral.  Viral
> referring to its replication properties.

And now we have agreed that we differ on what constitutes a viral entity.

We agree that:
 1) Putting GPL code in your app does not automatically make your
    app GPL.
 2) Some times you might feel pressure to GPL your app because if you
    don't you won't get the benefits of the GPL code you want to use.

I think that (1) makes the GPL non-viral.
You think that (2) makes the GPL viral.

Can we agree on the factuality of (1) and (2) so that we simply agree to
disagree on the definition of the word "viral"?

- --
Daniel Carrera         | OpenPGP fingerprint:
Graduate TA, Math Dept | 6643 8C8B 3522 66CB D16C D779 2FDD 7DAC 9AF7 7A88
UMD  (301) 405-5137    | http://www.math.umd.edu/~dcarrera/pgp.html