On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Matt Licholai wrote:

> Here are what I feel the Debian packaging system can do rather well (from
> the end user perspective):
>
>     Standardized file/directory location

This is something I detest.  When I have setup my system to have
system software in one place, downloaded software for the whole
network in antother place, and machine specific code in a third place,
I do _not_ want some package telling me that I must put the software
in x/y/z.  This is what really annoys me about Imake.

I would plead for one level of indirection: allow me to setup the
standard places at configuration time.  Default values are acceptable,
of course.  I could do this when I configure Ruby, and then the
downloaded apps could ask me if my settings are what I wanted.

The rest of the points are good.

	Hugh
	hgs / dmu.ac.uk