Hi List:

I've been a lurker here for about two weeks. In that time, I've been
installing Ruby on a number of machines (Mac, Linux, Windows) and
generally having a grand time exploring Ruby and telling anyone who
will sit still for 3 seconds what a great language it is.

Since there's been a recent thread on how to make Ruby more popular,
I thought I'd mention why Ruby's popularity came to a screeching halt
this evening. In one word: "Licenses."

Coming from a background of using Perl and some Python, I've become
quite casual in expecting a certain consistency of licenses within
the community. Perl and Python modules tend to be distributed under
the same license as the base language.

This approach seems less consistent in the Ruby community.

Specifically, I just happened to look at the source code in DBI.rb
and Oracle.rb and was astonished to discover that these modules are
GPL. Then I quickly found trace.rb, and proxy.rb were GPL as well.

Now, if I can get through the next section without flames please. :}

I use Perl and Python to build commercial products for my own company
and for clients.
Most of the applications I'm building are database-driven.
For me, DBI is a core functionality.
Unfortunately, until Ruby provides a non-GPL alternative I need to go
back to Perl or Python.

Does this mean I'm giving up on Ruby?
Absolutely not.
It is a great language and I'm going to have some fun using it.
I hope I can contribute some things to the community as well.
I'm just not going to be able to use it commercially for any of my products.

In summary, inconsistent licensing is the primary reason we're not
going to be using Ruby around here.
I look forward to hearing the lists comments on this.
I know there's be a few. :}
--Ray