"Michael Campbell" <michael_s_campbell / yahoo.com> wrote in message
> When extconf.rb says "no" about gcc, is it saying it can't find a gcc to
> use, or is it saying that my ruby wasn't compiled using gcc?

Probably the later ...

> To that end,  is it necessary to keep the same sort of development
> environment when compiling extensions for ruby as what was used
> to compile ruby itself?

Yes ...the two environments do not mix. To run cygwin extensions you
will need cygwin1.dll and to run msvc extensions you will need msvcrt.dll
(which you must find in C:\ruby\bin if you have installed ruby in c:\ruby)

> Lastly, if I get the latest ruby source, is it a big chore to get it
> compiled myself using cygwin,

Not at all ... I was able to compile ruby-cygwin and ruby9i extensions
in a matter of about 30 minutes ... most of which were spent in modifying
the Makefile generated by extconf.rb. Let me know if you need help
in this exercise.

> and what are the disadvantages (if any) of doing so?

None that I can think of ... other than the fact that you can run cygwin
programs only under the cygwin environment.

> Thanks

HTH,
-- shanko