"Hal E. Fulton" <hal9000 / hypermetrics.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:014d01c33cd2$c69bbdc0$0300a8c0 / austin.rr.com...

> > In most programming languages identifiers may not start with a digit.
> > Same for Ruby.  You can't do class 3Foo; end either. Simply get used
> > not start identifiers with numbers.  The change just makes identifiers
for
> > global variables consistent with other identifiers.
>
> But $3var doesn't start with a 3; it starts with a $.

Hmm, you can call me picky, but I'd say it does start with a digit.
Here's why: I regards the "$" not the first character of the identifier
but a namespace tag for the global variables namespace.  Similarly there
is "@" as tag for the namespace "variables of the current instance".  You
can't leave these things out without changing the scope of the variable,
so IMHO this is not part of the identifier.

Well, of course you *can* view this differently, but I suggest you
don't...

/me scuffles away in search for a serious threat...
:-)

> This is probably related to the change. I don't read
> ruby-core, so I can't say for sure.

Me, too.  Speculation is a nice thing unless carried too far. :-))

CU

    robert