On 23 Aug, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

> In message "[ruby-talk:00739] Re: RD with multi charset"
>     on 99/08/23, Toshiro Kuwabara <toshirok / yb3.so-net.ne.jp> writes:

[...]

> I admit I rarely use other languages, but I'd like not to have such
> restriction.  Clemens may want to write document in English, German,
> and Japanese in the future (after he becomes Japanese speaker ;-).

You have forgot to mention Chinese ;-))))

But I understand RD mainly as a tool to comment/document a
script/module/class for both the reader and the programmer who wants to
use it. RD allows me to have `both' documents in the source.

I comment all my code in English. Now I am working in a German speaking
project. But the devil himself (the boss? ;-) could not make me to use
German in my code. Perhaps I am a little bit strange, but I think German
in a source code looks, erhm... strange?, ugly? Doesn't matter! :-)

The problem is, programming is international most of the time. If I use
a national language but English *within* my source, I restrict the
source the same time.

But having the doc in more than one language in the source ... <bang>!
That would make the statements becoming comments to the doc, eh? ;-)

That, of course doesn't mean we couldn't use RD in other files, than the
source to write user docs. But I really don't know, if RD would fit that
need?!? User doc, has to be much more complex, than the docs I can
create with `rdtool' until now! And if I understand right, RD should not
become too complex, right?

Only my two cent :-)

>                                                         matz.

\cle