Jim Cain <list / jimcain.us> writes:

>> Last one question about the licence. Will you release your ruby-Oracle
>> interface under the GPL? Or LGPL?
>>
>> The GPLed extension library which links to a closed-source library
>> causes license violation. The LGPLed library will cause no
>> problem. I'm not certain about LGPL. I've not read the license term of
>> the LGPL in detail.
>>
>> Cheers
>
> The LGPL allows linking into a non-free program, and only changes to the
> library itself must be freely available.

I've been sure that. A non-free program which links to the LGPLed
library is a "work that uses the Library" in the term of the LGPL.
What I'm not certain is about the "work that is used by the Library".
I've not read the license of the LGPL in that context.

I read it now and found the following statements in the section 6.

   It may happen that this requirement contradicts the license
   restrictions of other proprietary libraries that do not normally
   accompany the operating system. Such a contradiction means you
   cannot use both them and the Library together in an executable that
   you distribute.

The Oracle client library is a proprietary library and doesn't
accompany the operating system. Hmm, contrary to my expectations the
LGPL may not allow linking _to_ a non-free library.

Well, I'm not familiar with legal terms. So I'll not say again about
license.

Cheers
--
KUBO Takehiro