Michael Neumann <mneumann / ntecs.de> writes:

> Jim Cain wrote:
>
>> Hi all. I was looking for a Ruby interface to 9i that would handle all
>> the latest features, including collections, object navigation and so
>> on, but I didn't find one. So over the weekend I started writing my
>> own. I've coded the basic functionality as a C extention library that
>> uses OCI 9. It connects and executes, and it will fetch the common
>> Oracle types. Now I need to add all the features I want and then put a
>> nice DBI face on it.
>
> http://www.jiubao.org/ruby-oci8/index.en.html
>
> Why not extend this for 9i functionalities?

IMHO that OCI8 extention is too complex to add new features.
I, author, confuse sometimes. :-<

I am making next version from scratch now and then. Its purpose is
limited but simple and usable features and extensible structure.
OCI::Date and OCI::Number are also available. You can use all features
of Oracle Date and Oracle Number from ruby. But collections and object
navigation are out of my interset. Thus if Jim's code become rapidly
usable more than my one and its licence become non-GPL, I will stop my
work.

You can get my unfinished code
   http://www.jiubao.org/ruby-oci8/ruby-oci8-v0.2-unusable-2003-0626.tar.gz
This lacks high level API yet.