Holden Glova <dsafari / paradise.net.nz> wrote in message news:<200306242007.59017.dsafari / paradise.net.nz>...

> I am curious what people use to represent decimals when with no rounding
> error? I have a need for this and have come up against a brick wall. I was
> hoping for something that was similar to BigDecimal in Java - does Ruby have
> anything like this?

   Shigeo Kobayashi's BigFloat module (and also its successor BigDecimal)
does arbitrary-precision arithmetic, and does it internally in decimal, so
you avoid the "penny math" errors from converting decimal to binary.
It's useful, though a bit short on advanced functionality (I had
to write my own logarithm method).  You can get the BigFloat from
the RAA (http://raa.ruby-lang.org/) and I think BigDecimal is still
sitting somewhere in the Ruby development CVs.

                             Regards, Bret