Simon Strandgaard <0bz63fz3m1qt3001 / sneakemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:22:56 +0000, Martin DeMello wrote:
>
>> What if they override @initialize and don't call super - how does
>> the value get set, then?
>
> I don't know which kind of behavier would be appropriate here?

Me neither - again, note the problem of values attaching themselves to
an instance, rather than a class.

>> And don't forget they can simply reopen A and add a method of their own,
>> then call it from B.
>
> I consider 'reopen'ing as a kind of subclassing. if subclass then its
> readonly mode :-)

I seriously doubt you can write a Ruby program capable of distinguishing
between

class A
  def foo; end
  def bar; end
end

and

class A
  def foo; end
end

class A
  def bar; end
end

In fact, if there weren't so many ingenious people on the list, I'd go
ahead and flatly say it was impossible :)

martin