On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:30:06 +0000, Dan wrote:

> I have a file which I want to extract specific lines and put them together
> into a new string, for an example this is what the input file is

How about this ?

> ruby a.rb a.rb
> cat results.txt
file = ARGV[0] has the text result = File.open("results.txt", "w") right below it
lines = IO.readlines(file) has the text while lines.size > 1 right below it
        a, b = lines.slice!(0, 2) has the text  a.chop! right below it
        b.chop!  has the text   result.puts "#{a} has the text #{b} right below it" right below it
end has the text result.close right below it
> cat a.rb
file = ARGV[0]
result = File.open("results.txt", "w")
lines = IO.readlines(file)
while lines.size > 1
        a, b = lines.slice!(0, 2)
        a.chop!
        b.chop!
        result.puts "#{a} has the text #{b} right below it"
end
result.close

--
Simon Strandgaard