Holden Glova [mailto:dsafari / paradise.net.nz] wrote:

> > > Thanks for your reply Botp, but wouldn't this still be
> susceptible
> > > to rounding error?
> >
> > could you site an example so that our ruby friends/hackers can also
> > help?
> >
> > > Signed,
> > > Holden Glova
> >
> > kind regards -botp
>
> Actually funny you ask because I can't seem to make the float
> class provide
> rounding errors. I have been searching on the web but can't
> seem to make Ruby
> give me rounding errors. I was under the impressions that
> floats where always
> inaccurate, is this not the case in Ruby? The reason I ask is
> because I am
> working on a general Money class. Currently I am backing this
> with a Fixnum
> in cents, but would prefer to have some sort of decimal type
> that doesn't put
> a limit on 2 cent places. Very interesting indeed...

ah, money matters (or rather cents matters ;-). I, too, am paranoid of cents
and to _avoid_ them, I just do mult by 100 or 1000 (depends), then process,
then go back by dividing by 100 or 1000...

what is 100.00 divided by 3? In money/business matters, it could probably be
33.33 for each of the 3 and 0.01 for charity ;-)

Of course, you can then make your own class for this.. in Ruby, the limit is
the imagination :-)

I think many have done their own classes for this kind of problem... just
wait for some people's reply...

> - --
> Signed,
> Holden Glova