I'm not a UNIX whiz, but I'm trying to learn how to do these things
myself so I can stay current. I downloaded ruby 1.6.8, untarred it, ran
configure, make and make test, which failed. I tried ranlib libruby.a
and make test again, with the same result. Here is some of the recent
history of that effort. Any ideas on where to go from here?

PALMERS:~/src/ruby-1.6.8] gary% make
gcc -g -O2 -pipe  main.o dmyext.o libruby.a -lobjc   -o miniruby
ld: archive: libruby.a has no table of contents, add one with ranlib(1)
(can't load from it)
make: *** [miniruby] Error 1
[PALMERS:~/src/ruby-1.6.8] gary% make test
gcc -g -O2 -pipe  main.o dmyext.o libruby.a -lobjc   -o miniruby
ld: archive: libruby.a has no table of contents, add one with ranlib(1)
(can't load from it)
make: *** [miniruby] Error 1
[PALMERS:~/src/ruby-1.6.8] gary% locate libruby.a
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin1.3.7/libruby.a
[PALMERS:~/src/ruby-1.6.8] gary% ranlib
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.6/powerpc-darwin1.3.7/libruby.a
dyld: ranlib Undefined symbols:
ranlib undefined reference to ___keymgr_dwarf2_register_sectiyns
expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
ranlib undefined reference to elf expected to be defined in
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
ranlib undefined reference to Zstrlen expected to be defined in
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
Trace/BPT trap

Gary Palmer