Dominik Werder <dwerder / gmx.net> wrote in message news:<oprq0u40bnjh6mnk / mail.gmx.net>...

> How can for example the vi editor jump to the line where a ruby editor
> occurred? Do I need special scripts for this or do I have to turn an option
> on? I'm new to vi :)

In plain vi, this is not easy, but in vim (the most commonly
recommended vi-like editor) there is what's known as the 'quick fix'
buffer.  In practise, this means you run ruby, the errors show up in a
'quick fix' window, and you click on a line in the 'quick fix' window
to jump to the appropriate source line.  Vim should magically
understand the command to run ruby and the format of error messages,
because it will load this information based on the type of file you
are editing.

Of course, since it is vim, there are many useful commands to navigate
through the error list...

> > Of course, you *do* have to learn the 'vi way of thinking'.  But it's
> > well worth it.
> Do you have some addresses to learn the vi way?

Well, http://www.vim.org/doc.php is the standard place, as someone
said.  But this article:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/200212/200212.htm

is a good, enthusiastic introduction to vi and vim from an outsider's
point of view, and it explains a bit about why people like it.

hth

Benjamin Peterson
http://www.jbrowse.com