>Nolan Darilek wrote:
>
>> I've begun investigating Ruby;
>
>It's great to see you here.
>
>> whether something like Python's freeze utility exists for
>> Ruby.
>
>Not any that I'm aware of. OTOH, I've not worked with Python so I might be
>misunderstanding you here.
>
>Having said that, I wonder if it would be a problem to write an utility
>which grabs all the used libraries and produces a "local copy version" of
>them. Which in turn could be packaged by various tools and shipped to
>"customer".
>
>There would be probably some issues with dynamically loaded libraries, and
>other system specific stuff. And I wonder how to draw a line between
>"developer" and "customer" stuff, as many developer's would love to install
>stuff easily too...
>
>Dare anyone fantasize more?

I don't really know about this stuff, but two possibilities come
to my mind:

1. Wouldn't rb2c allow you to do something like this? I haven't even
looked at its docs, but from the name alone it sounds like something
that would allow you to create executables from ruby.

2. Since ruby is embeddable into other apps, I would think that you
could have an app that *only* embeds ruby. It could have all the
ruby code within it as static data, and spoon-feed it to ruby for
execution.

Just brainstorming. Ignore at will.

Kevin