"you CAN teach an old dog ..." <itsme213 / hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:a6e48b6b.0306170833.6305cd38 / posting.google.com...
> What editor / ide would you recommend for serious Ruby work on
> Windows?

The Scite editor comes with the Ruby installation and I quite like it. It
also supports F5 for running scripts - I don't recall if it highligts error
messages from Ruby in script, but it does with C-compiler messages.
Generally I also use Scite over MS Developer Studio when I don't need to
debug C and C++ programs because it is small and fast. I don't like the
default font so I have configured it to courier fixed with fonts. IMHO that
makes it a lot more usable.

If you want some project management there is the Filex application (Windows
only) that works tightly with scite. www.scintilla.org

> Is there anything really promising in the works and likely to be
> usable in the next few months? I tried FreeRIDE but it's currently too
> unstable on Windows.

FreeRIDE also uses the Scintilla editor controlled used by the Scite editor.
I too found the current FreeRIDE too unstable on Windows - I'm anxiously
awaiting a more stable release with debugging support. Longer term I think
FreeRIDE could be great IDE also for other languages.

Mikkel