----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Clarke" <tom / u2i.com>
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 10:51 AM
Subject: Re: Standardizing Installers

> I think this is correct. What we need to the RAA-Packages to do is to be
> buildable on Windows, but not necessarily trivially buildable. We'll
> never make it easily buildable as most Windows users don't even have a
> compiler.
>
> So, for Windows it's a question of 'is it possible rather than is it
> easy?'

Personally, I think it's possible... although
if a Windows user wants to compile a C program,
that user needs a C compiler. (Your daily message
from the Department of Obviousness.)

I think there are freeware (older) versions of
Borland compilers and maybe even Micro$oft.

What I think I'd prefer is: Write everything to
the standard of gcc (for Windows); and make a
Windows gcc available on the RAA for the increased
convenience of Windows users.

Hal

--
Hal Fulton