Saluton!

* Daniel Carrera; 2003-06-15, 23:59 UTC:
> I guess that it might be an indiosyncratic term that a Windows programmer
> would "just know".  The rest of the programming world also has those:
>
>    "tmp" is always a temporary variable.
>    i,j are always integer indices.

In FORTRAN 77 tmp is not only a temporary variable but in almost any
case a temporary *REAL* variable. A temporary *INTEGER* variable
would be 'itmp' :-> Follows some F77 'Hello, world!'

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

C Explcitly state F77 convention for variables

      IMPLICIT INTEGER(I-N), REAL(A-H,O-Z)

C Explcitly state F77 convention for variables

      PRINT *, 'Hello, world!'
      END

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

There are perhaps more naming conventions than programming languages
(even if you including those languages that don't have variables).

Gis,

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt