Minero Aoki's install.rb/setup.rb supports this option already, doesn't
it? IIRC, they are both the prefix (where it will reside) and the
install prefix (where it is temporarly installed) are set with --prefix.
This may be a little confusing...

From a spec file of mine:
[...]
%build
ruby install.rb config --prefix=/usr
ruby install.rb setup

%install
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
mkdir $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
ruby install.rb install --prefix=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT
[...]

[gus@comp tenant2]$ ruby install.rb --version
install.rb version 3.1.2

Guillaume.