--=-JzM1Y6yg+ss7irg/yNmP

I was thinking about some of the issues raised involving ruby libraries
and various packaging systems raised on the list in the past day or two.

One of the things raised was a desire to see ruby packages integrate
well with the packaging system on the system you use, be it Gentoo,
Debian, RedHat or even Windows.

RAA-Install could be extended to generate packages in any or all of
these packaging systems - perhaps even to do a batch generation that
would allow for example the entirety of the RAA to be available as part
of say Gentoo or Debian.

The stumbling block, as well as being RAA-Install's biggest outstanding
problem, is the variety of packaging styles included in RAA.

All that needs to happen is for all packages to adhere to the de-facto
standards already widely adopted, such that packages are:
	a) packaged as tar.gz
	b) use either:
	-	Minero Aoki's install.rb/setup.rb, or
	-	automake/autoconf (./configure; make; make install)
	c) Have correct download  and version information available in the RAA

In particular they need to support the --prefix=3DPATH option, so that
packages can be installed in non-root locations as required by many of
the packaging systems.

If all packages support the following, RAA-Install will work and in
addition we can support all RAA packages in the various distribution
specific packaging formats.

So is it time to require that RAA packages conform to these rules?=20

-Tom

--=-JzM1Y6yg+ss7irg/yNmP

--=-JzM1Y6yg+ss7irg/yNmP--