On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 12:40:06AM +0900, Wesley J Landaker wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 12:25:22AM +0900, Chad Fowler wrote:
> > > It's a Win32API convention meaning "Window Handle".
> > >
> > > Chad
> >
> > Why don't they call it "WindowHandle" or "window_handle"?
> > That would make more sense to me.
>
> cBecause sthey vare dextremely pinto aHungarian nnotation.

I just looked up "hungarian notation" in microsoft.com.  I cam accross a
tutorial about it.  Here is a quote from it:

  This system became widely used inside Microsoft. It came to be known as
  "Hungarian notation" because the prefixes make the variable names look a
  bit as though they're written in some non-English language

That's about the only thing I agree with in that document.  My personal
opinion is that hungarian notation produces the most unreadable code
imaginable.  Sure, it produces tiny variable names, but since characters
are cheap, and human mental strain expensive, I think that one should
minimize the mapping necessary between the human's brain and the code.

The tutorial presents this as an example of the proper use of hungarian
notation:

14      while (*pch!=0
15         wHash=(wHash<>11+*pch++;
16      cch=pch-sz;
17      pbsy=&rgbsyHash[(wHash&077777)%cwHash];
18      for (; *pbsy!=0; pbsy = &psy->bsyNext)
19         {
20         char *szSy;
21         szSy= (psy=(struct SY*)&rgwDic[*pbsy])->sz;
22         pch=sz;
23         while (*pch==*szSy++)
24            {
25            if (*pch++==0)
26               return (psy);
27            }
28         }
29      cwSz=0;
30      if (cch>=2)
31         cwSz=(cch-2/sizeof(int)+1;
32      *pbsy=(int *)(psy=PsyCreate(cwSY+cwSz))-rgwDic;
33      Zero((int *)psy,cwSY);
34      bltbyte(sz, psy->sz, cch+1);
35      return(psy);
36      }

I must say, this really explains a lot about Microsoft's programs.

- --
Daniel Carrera         | OpenPGP fingerprint:
Graduate TA, Math Dept | 6643 8C8B 3522 66CB D16C D779 2FDD 7DAC 9AF7 7A88
UMD  (301) 405-5137    | http://www.math.umd.edu/~dcarrera/pgp.html