> comp.lang.ruby/ruby-talk slang
>
> Are you sure you are not confusing abbreviations and acronyms? As a
> rule of thumb (there *are* exceptions from this general rule like XP
> for eXtreme Programming) acronyms are composed of initial letters of
> words while abbreviations are simply shorthand.

Well, I'd quibble and say that much of this is jargon, not slang.

And an acronym is a series of initials that are pronounced as a word
(e.g., radar or YAML ), while a mere series of initials, where each
letter is pronounced as itself (e.g. XML or IBM), are initialisms.

In general, if one were to try to find out what an unknown term meant,
one would likely look for the glossary or dictionary; not too likely
one would first try to find the slang directory.

POLS sort of thing.

James