> Lots of people are talking about making the RAA into something like
> CPAN.
> That's okay, but I'm sick of seeing the package management wheel
> being reinvented over and over again.

This to me seems quite the opposite of reinventing the wheel,
while...

> So it would be really nice if we could solve it "once and for all".

...THIS seems the very definition of it.

You feel that doing something new and different is preferable to
using a model that's up and working, and you're using the "wheel
reinvention" analogy to justify it?

What am I missing?

I'm not disagreeing with you necessarily, but I'm wondering why we
seem to be 180 degrees apart...