On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 22:46:46 +0100
Simon Cozens <simon / simon-cozens.org> wrote:

> Jason Creighton <androflux / remove.to.reply.softhome.net> writes:
> > ....or whatever. We need more flexible package managers in general, not
> > just a language specific package manager every time we feel like we need
> > to reinvent the wheel.
>
> The problem with solving the general case once and for all is that everyone
> talks about it and nobody does it. CPAN may have its flaws, but it beats
> anything non-existent hands down.

Yes, of course.

But.

Lots of people are talking about making the RAA into something like CPAN.
That's okay, but I'm sick of seeing the package management wheel being
reinvented over and over again. So it would be really nice if we could solve
it "once and for all". Really, this has happened before in OSS. Case in point:
automake/autoconf.

Jason Creighton