On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 22:26:16 +0900
Gavin Sinclair <gsinclair / soyabean.com.au> wrote:

> I like video games *and* chess, but probably chess more.
>
> I like Perl *and* Ruby, but definitely Ruby more!
>
> I just defeated a chess program written in 1982 for C64.  I won a
> bishop in the middlegame, but at the cost of a couple of pawns, and it
> was touch and go in the endgame.  (Sigh, I thought I'd slaughter
> it...)

See, that's the problem with chess computers: They're so good at it, it's no
fun for causual players like myself because I can never win. Sure, I like a
challenge, but a computer will always play at the same level. That is, once
you're behind, you have almost no chance of winning the game because
brute-force algorithms never make a mistake.

Actually, that's *one* of the problems. The other is that it's more fun to
play against a person.

Jason Creighton