Hello,

I am running into a lot of trouble trying to find a good way to
implement my interactive console program. Here is the idea. You are
given a prompt (let's get creative and use "prompt> "). There are,
lets say, two commands. "add" and "delete". When a user types "add",
enters a space, and then hit tabs, the tab completion should return a
list of files in the current directory. When the user types delete,
space, and then tab, however, the user should get a list of
directories that have already been selected with add.

The problem with using the readline extension for this, as some as you
may know, is it does not allow you to get any text before the last
space (which is crucial, since that is where my command is). Someone
did submit a patch to ruby-talk to fix  this problem, but it breaks
backwards compatability (well, that and for some reason it wasn't
working quite right for me :P)

I was wondering if anyone had a good solution to this. I guess the
least desirable option would be writing a new readline-like interface.
If someone has a better idea, though, or has alreayd done this, please
let me know. Thanks.