Hi Andrew,

First off, let me say "bravo".  There are enough distributions that
follow the FHS, for those who don't want to deviate, and even a few
that don't.  However, without exploration, we're never going to
improve anything.

Andrew Walrond <andrew / walrond.org> wrote in message news:<3EE75CA5.3020105 / walrond.org>...
> Well; The basic file structure has been rationalised, and each package
> exists in its own directory; pkg/bash, pkg/glibc etc so its real easy to
> see what file belongs to which package. Turns one big amorphous blob of
> files into easily understandable and manageable chunks. Hard links back
> into bin etc make everything work as expected.

Question:

	/pkg/bash/1.2.3/
	/pkg/bash/2.3.4/

or just /pkg/bash?  Allowing multiple versions of the same package on
the same machine is a nice feature.

By the way, IME, there are good odds that if a person strongly
advocates the FHS, they've never experienced the joy of the NeXTSTEP
filestructure, now known as MacOSX.  There were some problems with it
(mostly due to not taking advantage of symbolic or hard links), but
all in all, it was a pleasure to administer.  I'm aware of the
advantages of FHS in the chaos that is the world of the Unix-ish, but
I personally believe there are other, better, less error prone, and
more elegant alternatives.

> Yes. I used to use gentoo ;)  Yes, dependancies are dealt with. If you
> install a new package (eg xfree86) which an already package can use the

I'd be interested in seeing an 'rbuild' (or whatever your ebuilds are
called).  Do you echo Gentoo's "we don't own the sources" standpoint?

> More for the expert than gentoo though; If you regularly play with

Yow.  How is this possible?  By the first time I'd installed Gentoo,
it was the first time I'd had to hand-craft (not tweak; *craft*) an X
config file in several years.  Having seen Knoppix, I'm amazed that
distributions require any amount of user intervention any longer.

On the other hand, I'd be much more willing to contribute to a
Ruby-based distribution than a Python-based distribution, so maybe I'd
be able to do something about this.

> To build a distro, you just do something like

What does maintenance look like?

Thanks for doing this.  Gentoo is almost perfect, but I'm handicapped
in contributing by my own stubborn refusal to write any more Python.