On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 17:56:02 +0900
Armin Roehrl <armin / xss.de> wrote:

> > I am going to write an article to a software magazine titled "Ruby as an
> > alternative to Perl". There are some obvious advantages of Ruby over
> > Perl:
> the 1st thoughts that spring to my mind
>
> pro:
> - Ruby code is easier to read. Readability facilitates communication.
>   (more elegant)
> - friendly community; Perl has become too big.
>

> contra:
> - RAA has a long way to go before it becomes CPAN

To which I say "thank goodness!". CPAN is, IMO, a bad model: It's *only* for perl stuff. We don't need to reinvent CPAN for Ruby: What we *really* need is a package manager flexible enough so that we can just do a:

~$ ultimate_package_manager --add-source http://www.ruby-lang.org/raa
~$ ultimate_package_manager --install raa/testunit

.....or whatever. We need more flexible package managers in general, not just a language specific package manager every time we feel like we need to reinvent the wheel.

Jason Creighton