In article <slrnbefclg.6r9.childNOSPAM / child.t9.ds.pwr.wroc.pl>,
Marek Janukowicz  <childNOSPAM / t17.ds.pwr.wroc.pl> wrote:

>I am going to write an article to a software magazine titled "Ruby as an
>alternative to Perl". There are some obvious advantages of Ruby over
>Perl:
>
>- Ruby is fully object oriented
>- blocks
>- introspection
>- very little difference between compile time and runtime
>
>Could you give me some more clues (I am missing a lot for sure)?

To the growing list I would add:

1) Built-in types like Array seem to have more methods that work on them
than Perl's.  ie. you can do this out of the box in Ruby, but I don't
think you can in Perl:

2) Ruby has a very nice case statement
3) any type of object can be used as a key in a Ruby hash (Perl can only
use strings as keys).
4) Ruby has continuations
5) yield and code blocks

Phil