Subject: [ruby-talk:7288] Re: Ruby and Gui's
Author:  ruby-talk / netlab.co.jp at smtplink
Date:    12/15/00 1:27 AM

>I noticed the other day (I think it was 2 days ago?) that Dave Thomas
>mentioned on the XP list something about ruby not being suited for gui
>applications at this time.
>
>** Disclaimer: I may not have the exact wording so please don't put me in
>front of the firing squad on this one :) I'm asking this question out of pure
>curiousity.
>
>I was wondering what are the reasons for that and who else would
>agree/disagree and why?

I partially agree. I'm currently developing a GUI app in ruby, and it's
going...ok. I had to decide between Tk, GTK, and FLTK. One of my goals
is cross-platform operation on *nix, Windows, and Mac (ugh). Only Tk
does that as far as I can tell.

Tk is not particularly pleasant for me to work in. (My background is
mostly MFC, but I've used a few other GUI toolkits). One of the biggest
drawbacks is the lack of documentation. I've read and re-read the Tk
chapter of the Programming Ruby book tens of times.

I also bought "Learning Perl/Tk", and have spent a lot of time
browsing Perl/Tk references on the web. Unfortunately, I still have
to translate everything back into ruby, which is not always easy.

The bottom line is that I *do* have a GUI app working, and I will
continue to get better with Tk. Or I will switch to GTK. Or someone
(me?) will create wxRuby. If I didn't have my heart set on learning
ruby, I'd probably use C++ or Java for my GUI app.

Kevin