Brian Candler wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 07:40:05PM +0900, Oliver M. Bolzer wrote:
>
>> Vapor is a persistent Object-Repository for Ruby, providing transparent
>> persistence of interrelated Ruby application objects to a PostgreSQL database.
>
> ..
>
>>It has some dependencies, notably Ruby-DBI from CVS (for Array support
>>in DBD::Pg, patch included in Vapor's tar-ball).
>
> ..
>
>>Any feedback or suggestions will be appreciated.
>

> If it uses the DBI API, is it possible that it may work with other SQL
> databases?

not very likely... any sql the library generates will most likely have
to be taylored to the database in question.

> Otherwise, if it is very specific to Postgres, perhaps it does not need to
> use the DBI layer at all - it could use the native Postgres API?

dbi is *very* easy to use, I myself am using it even tho I write
db-specific sql. with all the quirks of all the databases dbi is no
guarantee for database independence, just an easy way to access a database.

> (From my point of view, it would be nice if it supported Oracle and/or
> Mysql)

<plug>my transparent persistence library has mysql support</plug>

--
dc -e
4dd*od3*dddn1-89danrn10-dan3+ann6*dan*2*an13dn1+dn2-dn3+5*ddan2/9+an13nap