Hi!

This message goes to ruby-talk and Ralf Geschke (technical contact
for bttr.org according to whois database). Maybe the translation is
to imprecise (it is a quick-and-dirty one), in that case please
correct me.

  Seemingly lists.bttr.org has been offline for at least several
  days. Is that only a temporary problem? There were questions
  concering this issue on the english Ruby mailing list and on
  comp.lang.ruby. It would be nice if you bring some light into the
  darkness.

Translation of answer:

  The problem exists since last friday. FYI: lists.bttr.org (and
  therefore all mail stuff of bttr.org) relies on a machine with
  sponsored connection. I repeatedly did try to reach them to contact
  the company but to no avail. I only have sporadic contact to that
  company or rather only the machine resides there so up to now I
  don't have any information what did happen. Maybe some hard disk
  did fail or something like this. (A hard disk problem would not be
  that much a problem. A backup does exist so data could be saved or
  transferred. Due to the distance I cannot simply go there. On the
  other hand the hosting is for free so I can't to the same extent
  put pressure onto them as I would do if it were an ordinary
  provider.

  I could move the mail service to this machine (that hosts the web
  presence of bttr.org) but without access to the data that doesn't
  make much sense. All lists members would need to be informed and
  would need to subscribe again - but how to contact them without a
  list of the list members?

  I strongly dislike that situation and the present state of the
  list. I will again try to contact the company in the hope that they
  will inform me what went wrong.

  In order to inform members of the list I will set up a page on
  www.bttr.org (directly linked on the homepage).

Gis,

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt