Hi All,

I solved one part of my problem, i.e. how to loop through individual
lines in a given text file, by using IO.foreach, e.g.:

IO.foreach(fullFileName) { |rec| processRec(rec) }

That routine recognized the \r\n delimiter implicitly.  However, it
surprised me by returning an empty record after the final char(s),
i.e. the delimiter.  That wasn't mentioned in The Pragmatic
Programmer's Guide.  Am I misinterpreting anything here?

For the second part, how to continually monitor a file to get the next
unread record or an "EOF" return code allowing the thread to wait and
again test for the availability of an unread record (appended by some
other thread), I think I need to access a Win32 routine.  I'm going to
check that out now.  If anyone has a suggestion about this approach,
I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Regards,
Richard