On Wed 04 Jun 2003 at 04:39:44 +0900, Michael Campbell wrote:

> > I'll take a stab at it. I can't promise that
> > what I say is correct.
>
> I gotcha.  Ruby is doing this to avoid having to track the actual
> changes to the string (outside of changes to ENV), and/or dealing
> with copy-on-write semantics.
>
> Interesting; thanks.

In my program, however, I would have been quite happy to have sub! just
modify the copy of ENV['PATH'] that it had made, as I wanted to modify
the path that would be used to find the location of a binary I was about
to open with popen. I wasn't trying to modify the outside environment,
just that of my script and any of it children.

Ian
--
Ian Macdonald               | Breeding rabbits is a hare raising
System Administrator        | experience.