Hi:

I have asked this question before, long ago, but did not
get the answer I wanted. :)

I am trying to install Ruby at work. We have about 20
sites around the world. Our method is to create a bindist
such that the individual sites can simply gunzip and untar
a file to get a valid installation. This is done because
not all sites have access to the necessary compilers and such
to do a make.

My original solution was to locally do:

  ./configure --prefix=/path_to_ruby
  make
  cd ..
  tar czvf ruby.tgz ruby

to get a ruby.tgz bindist. Then each site just does:

   tar xzvf ruby.tgz
   cd ruby
   make install

The problem is that the --prefix for each site is not
guaranteed to be the same.

How can I change the default lib path after make, but
before make install? Or, how do I create a binary install
of ruby that can be installed into any arbitrary directory?

Note, I know all about using environment variables
and modifying the lib path during runtime. What I
want to prevent is the dangling lib path generated
by the original configure.

Thanks

--
Jim Freeze