In article <bb9dd1$fbv / dispatch.concentric.net>,
Phlip <phlipcpp / yahoo.com> wrote:
>Rubies:
>
>Me again, droning about Ruby/Tk again.
>
>The equivalent of the following code...
>
>  canvas = TkCanvas.new(top) {width(400);height(300) }
>  p canvas.configure()
>
>...if written in Python (boo! hiss!) Tkinter, would print out all the
>configuration options.

Is it just that it returns a hash (er... dictionary) and prints all the
keys or something?

>Similarily, canvas.cget() without an argument would return an entire map of
>configuration names and values.
>
>I can't find the equivalents in Ruby/Tk - despite being an overwhelmingly
>better language and Tk wrapper.
>
>How do we squeeze even more self-documentation out of these objects?

Interesting idea.  I've been playing a lot with Ruby/Tk the last week or
so and I know that I would like to see some more comprehensive docs.  I
think the basics are covered pretty well, but some of the more obscure
corners aren't.  (For example, I'd really like to find a reliable way to
limit scrolling of a canvas to a particular region.)  Mostly I've had to
use google to find stuff on Perl/Tk sites and then translate (though,
that's not always straightforward ).  It's been a lot of trial-and-error
which has made progress slow.

Phil