Saluton!

* Jim Freeze; 2003-05-28, 11:15 UTC:
>  How do you feel about pluralism in the other dirs?
>
>   bin/    => bins/
>   lib/    => libs/
>   doc/    => docs/
>   contrib => contribs/
>
>  or are these ok without the 's' suffix since they are
>  abbreviations?

One argument for using singular is that this is familiar to many
people:

/usr/bin
/usr/include
/usr/lib
/usr/man

are typical directory names you find on a Unix or Linux system.
Besides that there is the reason already pointed out. The directories
are outnumbered by the files that reside in them. The above results
in files like

/usr/bin/grep
/usr/include/stdio.h
/usr/lib/libruby.so
/usr/man/man1/ruby.1

The binary 'grep' that sits in the user tree.
The include file 'stdio.h' that sits in the user tree.
The library 'libruby.so' that sits in the user tree.
The man page 'ruby.1' that sits in the user tree and belongs to
section 1 of the manual.

Use of plural would be more confusing. I am not sure if that has
really been the reason to choose the given directory names. Another
explanation would be that singulars are in most cases shorter and
IIRC old Unix systems had severe restrictions on the length of file
names, directory names and even on the total length of a path.

Gis,

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
--
e-mails that do not contain plain text, are larger than 50 KiB, are
unsolicited, or contain binarys are ignored unless payment from your