On Wed, 28 May 2003, Jim Freeze wrote:

> CHANGELOG
> INSTALL
> LICENSE
> Manifest
> README    # if multi lang, README.en, README.ja, etc
> TODO      # optional
> setup.rb
>   bin/
>      # ruby executables
>      # other executables
>   contrib/
>      # third party contributions
>   doc/  # If multi lang, then use doc.en, doc.ja, etc
>      man/       # for unix man
>      api/       # rdoc output
>      rd/        # if rd based docs
>      tutorial/
>   examples/
>   ext/
>      ext_name/
>        extconf.rb
>        ... other source
>   lib/
>      # .rb files that go into RUBY_LIB
>      # may want to use parallel directory structure below
>      # site_ruby/<rev>/
>   src/
>      <other_lang_name>/
>   test/
>      # test suites

If you have scripts that help pack the tarball etc, ie. scripts that
are used in the project but not included when shipped, where should they
go? (/bin?)

I tend to use a top-level dir "helpers" for these scripts currently but it
would be nice to see how others handle this.

Another comment is that I don't like "examples" in pluralis but "test" in
singularis; I tend to use "tests". However, most of the others are
singularis I guess... ;)

Yet another issue is whether people recommend structure within test dir? I
have started using the same structure as in lib and ext ie. the unit tests
for the code in lib/cryptor/public_key goes into
tests/unit/cryptor/public_key etc (I use "tests/unit" since I have
acceptance tests in tests/acceptance but maybe that is taking things too
far...). I have felt the need to add structure to the tests dir since
test-first design often lead to as much (or more) test code as the code
itself. With one flat, big tests dir it was hard to get an overview. I
also have a single script tests/run_all_tests.rb so that the command

  ruby -Ilib tests/run_all_tests.rb

runs them all.

Just my 2 cents...

Regards,