Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> HI,
>
> In message "Re: Problem compiling extension on Solaris"
>     on 03/05/27, nobu.nokada / softhome.net <nobu.nokada / softhome.net> writes:
>
> |> How can I stop -dn option?  I want to make shared library, no static
> |> linking sought.  Could you ask your Solaris guru nearby?
> |
> |Seems to need -shared option, according to [ruby-talk:72134].
>
> Hmm, I don't know how to fix this.  According to configure.in,
>
>   case "$target_os" in
> 	solaris*) 	if test "$GCC" = yes; then
> 			   LDSHARED='$(CC) -Wl,-G'
> 			   if test "$rb_cv_prog_gnu_ld" = yes; then
> 	 		       LDFLAGS="-Wl,-E"
> 			       LDSHARED="$LDSHARED -shared"
> 			   fi
> 			else
> 			   LDSHARED='ld -G'
> 			fi
> 			rb_cv_dlopen=yes;;
>    esac
>
> so that if he was using GNU ld, link line should be
>
>   gcc -V 3.3 -Wl,-G -shared -L/usr/local/lib
>
> but it wasn't.  It seemed that configure failed to detect GNU ld,
> right?  Probably we need to fix RUBY_PROG_GNU_LD macro.
>
> Tim, could you show us how did you run configure script?
>
> 							matz.

FWIW, the --with-gnu-ld option fails for me on my Solaris box no matter
what package I use , not just Ruby.  I'm guessing it's a bug in
autoconf.  I usually resort to this:

cd /usr/ccs/bin;
mv ld ld.orig;
ln -s /usr/local/bin/ld ld (perhaps backwards - I always forget)

Then build and "mv ld.orig ld" when I'm done.

Anyway, it may be worth giving approach a shot, just to see what happens.

Regards,

Dan