On Sat, 24 May 2003, Hal E. Fulton wrote:

> > > So, a serverless CGI -- possible in theory and practice, in theory only,
> or
> > > just not happening?
>
> [snip example]
>
> Thanks, Ara. Yes, I see that.
>
> But that doesn't let me interact with
> the CGI in my browser.

hmm.  fastcgi might be a good bet?  it allows socket based (unix or tcp)
communication... but how would the browser communicate or start/kill the
process?  a java applet perhaps?

actually, you might be able to do something along the lines of embedding an
applet into an html page, the applet might fire up some web server which could
run, and display the output of a ruby cgi program?

i'm totally grasping here - but it seems like

  html -> java -> ruby

might be a viable path though - since java is about the only means of
'running' something in a browser without writing an extension/module.  maybe
you could do something like this with javascript?  i don't really know.
basically, you need to run a webserver in your browser, and display the output
of local cgi scripts which are cranking out html pages...

something like that would be very cool actually...

i too have considered that html is about the *only* cross platform gui...

-a

> I'm wanting to put a web interface on
> a program (in this case, twenty times
> easier than writing a GUI). But I was