On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Kevin Smith wrote:

> >Sure Matz could add lots more really cool features, but I'd suggest that
> >for every cool feature that is added two other cool features have to be
> >removed. I value simplicity.

> Agreed. If I could add one feature to ruby, it would be to remove
> several of the duplicate ways to accomplish things. I know, that's
> also a strength of ruby, but I do like simplicity. I've thought about
> defining a "ruby-lite" that cuts what I consider to be the extra stuff
> out. Just a dream. Ruby is still very nice.

For those that truly value simplicity,  should use
RScheme. RScheme is Scheme with Objects all the way down. (Scheme is a
highly simplified form of Lisp).
(very-good? (functions (brain your) (way prefix))

instead of ruby-brain.functions.way.this ;-)

Hmm. Maybe even Joy. Joy is lovely. Can't do anything useful in Joy but
its the most joyously simple language I have seen. Every now and then I
reread the Joy language definition for the shear Joy of it.
http://www.latrobe.edu.au/www/philosophy/phimvt/j00syn.html
postfix way your brain functions for strictly
Bloody marvelous! Truly a Joy! Pure chocolate for the brain! A plain must
read for anyone remotely interested in programming language design.

Still, I much prefer Ruby (not lite) for getting the work done.

John Carter

Work Email : john / netsys.co.za Private email : cyent / mweb.co.za
Yell Phone : 083-543-6915      Phone         : 27-12-348-4246

Carter's Compass...

   I know I'm on the right track when by deleting code I'm adding
   functionality.