On Wed, 2003-05-21 at 12:18, Pit Capitain wrote:
> On 21 May 2003 at 11:13, Jim Weirich wrote:
>
> > > To Jim Weirich: are you still doing something with Ruby and fitnesse?
> >
> > Yes.  I have a version of RubyFit that works with FitNesse.  We are
> > using FitNesse at the cincinnati XP users group to specify the user
> > acceptance tests for our project.  Some people are using Java and some
> > (i.e. me and whoever I can get to pair with me) are using Ruby.  So the
> > same tests can be driven by both Java and Ruby.
> >
> > Unfortunately, Dave's version of Fit wasn't available at the time, so I
> > did my own port of Ward's software.  I can't imagine that the two
> > versions are very different (since they are both ports of the Java
> > version).
> >
> > I plan to post what I have in the next week or two.
>
> Excellent. Looking forward to your post. What about some short
> remarks about your experiences so far of actually using FitNesse?

FitNesse is a hierarchical wiki with special hooks for running test
scripts.  The test scripts use Fit to parse tables on the wiki page and
run tests based upon the information in the tables.  You can define
special pages such as SetUp and TearDown that do the same as the like
named methods in an XUnit test.  Because FitNesse is hierarchical, you
can support multiple projects in a single wiki.

FitNesse runs as its own server, so you don't have to setup apache or
any other web server.  Setting up FitNesse is easy on both Linux and
Windows (assuming you have Java already installed).

I haven't used FitNesse on any large projects.  Our XP users group is
using it to specify a simple web based calendar project, but we haven't
got very far with it yet.

Bob and Micah Martin (the Object Mentor folks writing FitNesse) are very
responsive to comments.  In fact, one or two of the changes were done to
support better multi-language use in FitNesse.  The make a new release
every week or two.

I'm going to put up a FitNesse server on my web site sometime in the
next week ... mainly to support our XP users group ... but I'll announce
it here as well if anyone want to take a look at it.

All in all, its a pretty cool tool.

--
-- Jim Weirich     jweirich / one.net    http://onestepback.org