nobu.nokada / softhome.net wrote in message news:<200305131033.h4DAXIel005711 / sharui.nakada.kanuma.tochigi.jp>...
> What's the exact version, and which of 3, cygwin, mingw32 and
> mswin32?  And which do you use, NT(3.51, 4, 2000 and XP) or
> 9x(95, 98 and Me)?  These two are completely different systems.

I'm running the mswin32 version under windows 2000 SP3.

C:\>ruby --version
ruby 1.6.8 (2002-12-24) [i586-mswin32]

One thing to note is that the long pause does not occur until you run
a backquotes command.  There can be any amount of other stuff
inbetween the call to the message box and the backquotes, all of which
will work fine.  As soon as you call the backquoted command, it just
hangs for ages.  The CPU on my box was at 0% during this time too.