>But I'm still a bit puzzled about the *point* of Ruby.  It's either
>Smalltalk without the IDE, or Perl without the CPAN and
>programmer/install base and wide ports, or Python without the annoying
>"it'll be indented THIS WAY or Guido will come and get you" feature.
>
>What do you want to accomplish with Ruby?

I guess I would boil it down that I want something that is:
- cross platform
- very dynamic (for eXtreme Programming)
- OO
- Java-like in syntax

I haven't found any other language that meets those requirements. I'll add that it can't be too far out of the mainstream--I want an active support community and the availability of free libraries.

Kevin