I've been pursuing the webcounter idea a little.

(By the way: Warren -- I saw your post and will
include you on this soon.)

The script is in Ruby, so that's my justification
for posting here. :) Even though I don't show the
code here.

I realized finally that I'm used to the graphical
counter that I've been using for ages. The IMG
tag itself invokes the CGI:

So the result of the CGI is an image that gets
embedded in the HTML document.

But I can't see any equivalent technique for simple
text.

I'm opposed generally to server-side stuff. Never
mind why, it just annoys me a little.

I suppose it might be possible with Javascript (and
probably is). Though I'd like a Javascript solution
as opposed to nothing at all, my first choice would
be a pure HTML solution.

Anyone?

Hal